Algarve Events March 2016
There are so many Algarve events in March to enjoy and with the countryside blooming, the 39th International Almond Blossom Cross Country is definitely one of the calendar highlights! Also for sports, we’ve got the Algarve Cup, with the best female football teams in the world facing a mega tournament 2-9th March (Albufeira, Lagos, Lagoa and Vila Real de Santo António) and the 8th International Women’s Day race (raising money for the Algarve Oncology Association) 13th March in Tavira.
Easter in the Algarve is a religious and much celebrated time, with famous events such as the Sovereign Mother Festival (“Festa da Mãe Soberana”) in Loulé and the Flower Torches Festival (“Festa das Tochas Floridas”) in São Brás de Alportel on the 27th March. There are also Easter festivities in Tavira 13th, 20th and 21st and traditional “Folar” (Easter cake) fairs across the region; as well as the Traditional Sausage Fair of Monchique, which is not to be missed 4-6th March for a real taste of rural Algarve!
With dance, theatre and music events too, including a fantastic concert from Brazilian star Paula Fernandes at Portimão Arena 24th March, check out the Visit Algarve March Events 2016 brochure!
Markets in the Carvoeiro area
- Market in Lagoa: 2nd Sunday of each month (except in August) in front of the Fatacil.
- Flea market in Lagoa: 4th Sunday of each month, at the Fatacil
- Flea market in Estombar: last Saturday of each month at the Parque de Feiras e Exposições (Fairs and exhibitions park)
- Flea market in Ferragudo: 2nd Sunday of each month (except in August) from 08.00h to 13.00h.
Annual events in the Carvoeiro area
- June – a week of Portuguese gastronomy at the Feiras e Exposições (Fairs and Exhibitions) park in Lagoa. Also arts and crafts exhibits and fun for all the family.
- June – International Algarve Fair – everything for your home, garden and lifestyle. Children’s entertainment, live music, fashion shows, food arena……
- July – Festival do Caracol (Snail festival) -a gastronomy festival in Porches
- August – FATACIL fair of Crafts, Tourism, Agriculture, Commerce and Industry. Trade exhibitors and also lots of entertainment and fun for all the family. Live music, food…….
- August – Festa da Nossa Senhora da Encarnação in Carvoeiro on the last Sunday in August
- 8th September – Festa da Nossa Senhora da Luz – the patron saint of Lagoa- celebrations for the whole of the municipality of Lagoa.
Algarve Bank Holidays 2015 to 2017
- Municipal holiday : September 8th
- New Years Day: 1st January
- Carnival (“Carnaval” – Mardi Gras): 2015-February 17th; 2016-February 9th; 2017-February 28th.
- Good Friday: 2015-April 3rd; 2016-March 25th; 2017-April 14th.
- Easter Sunday: 2015-April 5th; 2016-March 27th; 2017– April 16th.
- Liberation Day (celebrating the 1974 revolution): 25th April
- Labour Day: 1st May
- Corpus Christie: 2015-June 4th; 2016-May 26th; 2017-June 15th.
- Portugal Day: 10th June
- Assumption of the Virgin: 15th August
- Republic Day: 5th October
- All Saints’ Day: 1st November
- Restoration (of Independence) Day: 1st December
- Immaculate Conception: 8th December
- Christmas Day: 25th December